Wednesday, October 29, 2008

"Waiting On" Wednesday: The Piano Teacher


This week's pre-publication "can't-wait-to-read" selection is:

The Piano Teacher
By Janice Y. K. Lee
Publication Date: January 13

From Publishers Weekly:

Lee delivers a standout debut dealing with the rigors of love and survival during a time of war, and the consequences of choices made under duress. Claire Pendleton, newly married and arrived in Hong Kong in 1952, finds work giving piano lessons to the daughter of Melody and Victor Chen, a wealthy Chinese couple. While the girl is less than interested in music, the Chens' flinty British expat driver, Will Truesdale, is certainly interested in Claire, and vice versa. Their fast-blossoming affair is juxtaposed against a plot line beginning in 1941 when Will gets swept up by the beautiful and tempestuous Trudy Liang, and then follows through his life during the Japanese occupation. As Claire and Will's affair becomes common knowledge, so do the specifics of Will's murky past, Trudy's motivations and Victor's role in past events.

What's your "waiting on" pick this week?

Leave a comment with either the link to your own "Waiting On" Wednesday post or just your answer (if you don't have a blog).

9 comments:

Lenore Appelhans said...

I've heard of The Music Teacher that is about to come out, but this one is new to me.

Mine is up here .

Mary Beth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary (Bookfan) said...

This sounds good - especially since I'm a former piano teacher!

(the deleted post was from me - I forgot to switch to my blog acct first.)

Jill said...

Mary...to answer your earlier question, the publisher is Viking.

Lisa (Southern Girl Reads) said...

That sounds very good! Here' mine!

http://southerngal-lisa.blogspot.com/2008/10/waiting-on-wednesday-my-first.html

Alea said...

Here is my post!

I've already written my posts for the next two weeks, so excited about those books!

Mary (Bookfan) said...

Jill, I googled the title and found a YouTube with the author - very good. I really want to read this book! Thanks for your post.

S. Krishna said...

I haven't heard of this book but it sounds great!

Shonda said...

I just discovered this event. I love this idea! Actually, I really shouldn't add to my extremely long TBR list, but there's a lot I shouldn't be doing that I do anyway...

Here's my first post:
http://memybookandthecouch.blogspot.com/2008/10/waiting-on-wednesday.html