Sunday, September 21, 2008

Sunday Salon: 9/21

What a great week of reading this has been!

I reviewed two excellent books: Tomato Girl (review here) and The Distance Between Us (review here). These are must-adds to your reading list.

I contacted the author of Tomato Girl, Jayne Pupek, after reading her amazing novel, and she agreed to an author interview. Given the intense nature of the book, I'm really interested in hearing the thought process behind it. Look for that coming up one day this week.

New books in my pile this week include:

Home by Marilynne Robinson
Belle in the Big Apple by Brooke Parkhurst
Godchildren by Nicholas Coleridge

Looks like some good reading ahead! What were new arrivals to your stack this week?


P.S. Don't forget to stop by on Wednesday for my weekly event, "Waiting On" Wednesday, to see what much-anticipated pre-publication book is in the spotlight.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to read your interview with Jayne - she is so nice!

Yasmin said...

Happy SS and the book that I'm adding to my bookpile this week is Going Down South by Bonnie Glover.

Lisa (Southern Girl Reads) said...

Those sound like two amazing books that I will definitely be adding to my TBR list. Your reviews of each were great! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and I look forward to your author interview as well.

There was a book that caught my attention this week from Julie at Booking Mama. It's Whistling in the Dark. I'm anxious to read it too. Enjoy your Sunday!

Serena said...

I cannot wait to hear what Jayne Pupek says about her writing process for Tomato Girl. I added it to my TBR list on Good Reads and Pupek sent me a message thanking me for adding it to my list. I think your interview is likely to be insightful.

Anonymous said...

I went to the bookstore Saturday to pick up Home, but ended up with Towelhead by Alicia Erian. The provocative title worked its magic on me! Oh boy, I had no idea how awful the main character's life would be. The 13-year-old tells of horror in such a matter-of-fact, almost detached way that it makes the events she goes through even more disturbing. I'm wondering if it's somewhat similiar to Tomato Girl. I hope I have the strength to find out.

Ruth said...

I'm late getting caught up with all my blog reading this week. Thanks for the great reviews! I'll definitely be adding these to my ever-growing list.

My best find so far this week has been Recovering Charles by Jason F. Wright. It's a really emotional tale of faith, hope, and recovery set in post-Katrina New Orleans.